YOUR STORY LETS YOU SHARE AND HELP OTHERS
“Your Story” is a new Breakfast Serial feature that lets people share their personal, emotional stories anonymously with readers.
“Often people have personal stories that really resonate with readers, but they may be painful or emotional, and writers are often reluctant to put their name on them,” says Nancy Hellekson, the editor of Hallard Press Breakfast Serial. “We publish a ‘Your Story’ from time to time, no byline or attribution, and names changed to protect everyone. The stories get a strong and positive reaction from readers judging by the comments they post.”
Here’s how it works:
- Submit your “Your Story” of 1500 words or less to YourStory@HallardPress.com.
- All stories should be in the first person. (It’s “your” story.) No articles, essays, or fiction—it must be your own true story with your own actual raw emotions: angst, joy, sorrow, grief, self-loathing, or jubilation, for example.
- Hallard Press will review the submissions, recommend edits where necessary, and get approval from the author before publishing. Not all material will be accepted, but we will acknowledge your submission. No political, religious proselytizing, sexual, or harassing content please. The editor’s decision is final.
- Stories can be joyous, happy, and positive; as well as sad, anxious, unhappy, and negative.
- “Your Story” pieces are published anonymously. So—please—be your real self and tell your story like it is. Only the editor knows who you are.
- “I didn’t know anyone else felt like this! Thank you for sharing.” is the reaction we often get from readers. Sharing your story can help others who may be feeling the same way, letting them know that they are not alone.
10 story prompts:
- A miracle, or miraculous event, takes place that changes your life forever. Share with readers.
- A loved one dies, and you didn’t tell them something close to your heart. What did you want to say? How does that make you feel now?
- Three things you are grateful for, and why. What’s their personal impact on you? What would your life be like without them?
- Someone you love has died or moved. Or maybe you had a fight. You miss them. What would you tell them now if you had the opportunity?
- What keeps you awake at night? Why? What would you do to alleviate the worry or pain?
- Did you make a decision that you now regret? What are the details? If you could go back and change it, what would you do differently?
- Choose three pieces of music you want played at your funeral or celebration of life. Why did you choose them? What do they say about the story your life?
- What commonplace event happened that changed your life forever? In what way?
- You had a silly fight with someone close to you. Now neither of you will give in. What should you do to make amends? How will that salvage the relationship. How do you feel now? How would you feel if the issue was resolved?
- You’re in a situation where you need help soon. Out of the blue a person turns up unexpectedly and offers the help you need. How do you feel? What caused this help to materialize just when you needed it most? Was it something you did? What happened then?
Send your story to MyStory@HallardPress.com
The world wants to read it!