Up to 3,000 Words of Timeless (Covid-19) Prose
The 2021 Hallard Press Covid-19 Short Story Competition kicks off November 1 and entries will be accepted until December 15, 2020. The top five short stories (curated by our judging team) will run in the online Hallard Press Breakfast Serial feature beginning in January 2021. (Read more about Breakfast Serial at HallardPress.com.)
Here are the rules:
FREE! There is no entry fee. (We believe that some things should be free.)
Entry must be an original, unpublished short story in English, in any genre, of at least 1,500 words and not more than 3,000 words based on the “Covid-19” pandemic. That should provide plenty of latitude.
- Format: The usual Word or Pages document with one-inch margins, double spaced, indented paragraphs, 12 pt Times Roman, with header including the story name and page number (but nothing that would identify the author).
- Include a separate cover page with: Story name, author name, address, email and phone. This page will be removed before the short story is given to the judges.
- Online submissions only. Email before midnight EST December 15, 2020 to: Info@HallardPress.com. Subject line: “Covid-19 Short Story Entry”
- Authors may submit multiple entries, but each short story must be different and meet the competition guidelines.
- The identity of judges will remain anonymous.
- Each entry will be acknowledged by return email when received. Sorry—we cannot answer queries, accept updates, or communicate with entrants about the competition. Winners will be announced by email to all entrants on January 8, 2021 and the information will be posted on HallardPress.com. The decision of the judges is final.
- Hallard Press reserves the right to disqualify any submission that does not meet the guidelines.
- Good Luck!